Sheila Stokley:  Hello, my name is Sheila Stokley of the law firm, Gardberg & Kemmerly. I am the new client intake specialist for social security. I’m here today to talk to you about how to file a disability claim.

There are some things you need to gather before you start to file your application. You need personal information, your social security, your date of birth. You will need your spouse’s information if you’re married. You will need your work history for at least 15 years. You will need the date you became disabled, or the last date that you worked, and the third thing you will need is medical information.

You will need your doctor’s names and addresses. You will also need any hospital addresses for any recent hospital stays. You will need your medications, the name of the medication, the milligram, and why you take the medication. You will also need a list of your conditions. This would be your disabilities.

The next thing you will need is your banking information for direct deposit. You will need your routing number and your checking account number. Disability insurance benefits, which is title two can only be filed online. You want to apply for SSI, which is a portion of social security. If you do not have a steady work history, you’ll have to contact social security directly and file with them, either online or in person.

yIf it’s a disability claim, which is a credit you earn that you pay in while you’re working, we can assist with that and help you file that application. If you need assistance with your claim or if you have any questions, you can contact us at (251) 343-1111. Our website is www.gardberglaw.com. Our 800 number is (800) 332-1529. Thank you for joining us today and I look forward to working with you.